The Vernon Curling Club
The first mention of curling in the Vernon area dates back to 1893 when curling was played on the frozen river in Enderby- “the grand ole Scottish Game was played with as near perfection as could be with blocks of wood instead of stones”.
- In 1893 S.E. Elliott of Vernon was busy building a private rink at the Vernon Hotel. This facility was successful under the chairmanship of James Martin. The following winter the rink was divided between skating and curling and for three nights a week was set aside for lovrs of the “roarin’ game”.
- In 1909 Vernon held its first bonspiel with teams from Enderby, Armstrong, Vernon, Peachland, Kelowna and Summerland. The bonspiel had several trophies donated by the Bank of Montreal, D & J McCallum of Edinburgh, Scotland and a semin-weekly Okanagan newspaper.
- In 1912 the facility moved to a modern six sheet building at Polson Park. This was a natural ice rink and unfortunately was dependent upon the whims of Mother Nature.
- The club was successful until 1926 when it burned and for several years there was no curling in Vernon. In 1933 the club was reorganized and a three sheet structure was opened in 1934.
- In 1947, Dolphe Brown and Pinky Berry arranged and organized financing for a new facility. Charlie Morrow helped establish the municipal tax allowing tax concessions to Athletic Clubs and the name of the club was changed to the Vernon Curling & Athletic Club.
- In 1970 the club felt that it had outgrown its five sheets and a feasibility study for a new rink was conducted by Al Dunn, Sigi Ogasawara and Doug French. Jack Boutilier and Bruno Sammartino were appointed to produce a location. In April of 1972, building of the new facility commenced and by November of that year, rocks were being thrown!